Netflix is a streaming service, considered by many as the top movie streaming platform in the world. The service is available 24/7 for anyone who wants to watch loads of incredible movie and TV show content. The birth of Netflix kick-started what is known as binge-watching today.
Even a person new to the internet can easily navigate Netflix. You head over to the website, fix valid login credentials, and you’ll have access to its vast library.
|Image from Unsplash.com|
Because of the coronavirus pandemic, Netflix subscriptions have gone through the roof since people are trying to find entertainment sources during the lockdown. Nonetheless, despite increased usage from people, many still don’t know how to maximize Netflix to the fullest.
Below, you’ll find the best streaming hacks for watching Netflix that’ll leave you never wanting to step out of your home again.
1. Add Ratings to Movies and Shows
If you keep selecting boring or overrated movies and TV shows, Netflix will get quite boring for you. The truth is, Netflix packs a whole lot of content. There is a chance that some movies that mean the world to a group of people may not be for you.
That’s why we have ratings. Netflix doesn’t show movie ratings on its website or app. You can, however, add ratings using a Chrome extension, the Netflix Enhancement Suite. This plug-in comes with Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes ratings, so they’re considered credible.
You’d be able to filter quality movies from less remarkable ones. The extension also comes with trailers and profiles for almost every movie.
2. Eliminate Buffering
No matter how thrilling a movie is, its effect can get dampened if you experience buffering. It’s not very different from listening to a friend narrate an exciting event with long breaks between the story.
To stop buffering, you can take these few steps:
- During the movie, press Shift and Alt together. Mac users can hold the Shift and Opt keys to perform the same function.
- In the window that comes up, you would be able to toggle between streaming choices.
3. Use Keyboard Shortcuts
Streaming Netflix with keyboard shortcuts will ultimately improve your experience by performing actions quicker. If you’re still using the arrow for specific functions, you’ll find that pressing keys will expedite particular processes.
For instance, using the arrow to skip the movie forward can make you go too far ahead. This way, you get hit with a spoiler, and the effect of knowing what’ll happen in a few minutes can lessen the stimulating impact of the movie.
- To get into full-screen, press F. Use the Esc button to return to the original screen.
- Use the spacebar key to toggle between pause and play.
- Hold the Shift button with either the left or right arrow buttons to skip forward or rewind a few seconds.
- The M key is used to mute the movie or increase its volume.
4. Get a VPN to Access Other Netflix Movies
Depending on which country you’re in, you may not be able to watch certain content. Netflix has had this long-standing issue with copyrights in different countries, so some movies are geo-blocked. Geo-restrictions ruin the movie experience by ensuring you get less than the value you paid.
However, when you use a VPN, you’d be able to get any library of your choice. VPNs are tools that modify IP addresses, making it seem like you’re in another region or country even when you don’t leave your home.
To successfully use a VPN for Netflix, you can:
- Subscribe to a paid VPN service. Free ones are usually unreliable and slower. Their servers are also frequently blocked.
- Download the VPN software to your device and launch it.
- Connect to the region or country the movie/TV show is available. For instance, if the movie you want to watch is available in Canada, change your location to a server in Canada.
Head over to the Netflix website on your browser and search for the movie.
With less than 15 U.S. dollars, you’d be able to enjoy access to some of the world’s best movies. However, you may not be making the best of your subscription.
By eliminating buffering, utilizing keyboard shortcuts, getting a VPN, and using a rating extension, you’d be able to maximize your subscription.